You can apply quick and easy online. Therefore, you will need to have the following details ready to enter:
- Your personal details
- Your contact details
- Your educational background, including your latest and your previous degrees
Further, you will need to upload the following documents:
- Your Research Proposal (pdf)
- Your CV (pdf)
- Supporting documents, references or certificates (as one pdf file)
Within the application form, you also will be asked about your thoughts on the biggest challenges Europe is facing in the future. The main focus of our evaluation, though will be your Research Proposal. This will be the chance to show us who you are, what you are planning to do and why you would be the appropriate Charlemagne Prize Fellow. We're looking for innovative research questions and approaches that will bring Europe forward.
Your Research Proposal should include:
As the key document of your application, your research proposal presents your innovative idea to address a question of the future. It is important that the project is defined as concretely as possible and that the goals and the methodology used are clearly explained. In our selection, we will primarily consider projects that stand out from the crowd because of their foresight and creativity, and that deal with questions for which they can give good reasons why they should be considered more strongly in the public discourse.
- A maximum amount of 6000 characters (max. 2 pages)
- The research question and a brief description of your research idea, perceiving a topic that is connected to our focus area
- Your motivation to research on this particular topic and its social/political relevance
- First ideas about your personal timeline and possible milestones you want to achieve during the Fellowship
- A first description for which audience groups (outside academia) your research could be of special interest
- A short explanation of what makes your research question unique and progressive in shaping Europe’s future
- You can find a sample with all important aspects here.
After submitting your application, you will receive an E-Mail, confirming that your application has been sent. You will be informed about the selection outcome latest by October. In case you are selected, you will receive your grant agreement and you can propose an academic mentor. After commonly appointing your personal milestones you will be invited to attend the Kick-Off Summit in autumn.
With accepting the Fellowship, the applicant will agree:
- to fulfil individually appointed milestones as part of the research progress (surveys, workshops, articles…)
- to attend the kick-off and the concluding summit in autumn each year
- to cooperate with academic mentors and support offered by the Charlemagne Prize Foundation
- that the individual research outcomes might be published during and after the research process
The application portal for our Fellowship programme 2021/22 is currently open!